Saturday, January 4, 2014

Chess the Game of Life


As 2013 came to a close I’d like to reflect on some highlights of this past year as well as low points. I was traveling a lot this year with gallery and museum shows. It was great to meet so many different people in cities around the United States. This year also offered more opportunities for me in the realm of teaching. I started a new teaching job at Creighton Prep, which has been incredible. I have been bringing in some traditional Atelier techniques with my students as well as some modern technical approaches. The results have been impressive to see. I also created a lot of new personal art as well as book and movie concept artwork.

I have attached a new drawing I did with charcoal and white chalk on paper. The piece is called “The knight has come”. I have attached the work in process and the final piece. I created it for my son who is an avid chess player. I have always found that chess is a mirror of life, rich in metaphors for the human experience. As the famous chess player Garry Kasparov said “When we regularly challenge ourselves with something new - even something not obviously related to our immediate goals - we build cognitive and emotional "muscles" that makes us more effective in every way.” In chess you predict what your opponent is going to do and each and every move has a consequence and meaning in the overall game. The same can be said in life.

The low point of the year was losing my teaching colleague, artist, and friend Wanda Ewing. Wanda was an incredible artist and teacher. She was filled to the brim with life and love for all things artistic. I gave a few art history lectures to her classes at UNO over the years and exhibited work with her in group shows at different galleries. When Wanda smiled the whole room lit up. She was and still is an inspiration and will be missed.

I wish all of you a Happy New Year and I thank all of you who have supported my artwork. 2014 is going to be another huge year for exhibitions, teaching, and lectures. So look for more updates soon.

Thanks
Caniglia  



No comments:

Post a Comment